Sunday 22 June 2008

Lethal Bizzle Accuses Download Fans Of Racist Pelting

Lethal Bizzle has accused some fans who pelted him with objects at the Download Festival this month, of being racist.


Some members of the audience threw bottles and yoghurt at the rapper during his performance, which has led to Bizzle posting a blog message on The Guardian website, saying:


"If I had found it at the beginning of the set, I'm not sure I would have carried on. It was a banana skin, thrown at my feet as I played last weekend's Download festival. On the outside, someone had written "Bizzle you black cunt". I couldn't believe my eyes."


The grime artist added, "If you want to send out a message about music, fair enough. But what the fuck is the point of bringing in my skin colour?"


The post goes on to say the attack was pre-meditated, as he writes: "I found a message board thread with over 100 posts, all of them talking about when I was going to get bottled. By the time I left for the festival I was fully aware that my booking was a problem."


Lethal does go on to stress that he doesn't feel all the festival fans were racist, just a few who attended: "I wouldn't say there was a racial element to what most people were doing, I really wouldn't."


"I know the history of Download and that it's really central to the metal scene, that the fans are passionate and protective of their music. And the weird thing was that by the end I had got most of the crowd on my side! I'd showed a lot of balls and I gained respect - 90% of the people there applauded me off. But then I found the racist stuff and my mood totally changed."




See Also